Log in

No account? Create an account
07 March 2005 @ 01:09 pm
English as she could have been spoke  
Tired of all those Greek and Latin words in science? Try reading this: http://www.grijalvo.com/Citas/Peculiar_English.htm

Scroll down to see what it would be like if English was all Greek to me.

BTW, does anyone know what minglingken is? I think it's chemistry, but I can't work out the etymology.
The Milkman of Human Kindnessradegund on March 7th, 2005 01:45 pm (UTC)
Minglingken: I think it's the knowledge of how things mingle. Interesting link!
a very caring potatomollydot on March 7th, 2005 02:23 pm (UTC)
I was very confused when I first saw it - I'd read it as ming-ling-ken and was wondering what ming and ling meant. They certainly didn't look very germanic!
Niall Richard Murphyniallm on March 7th, 2005 01:47 pm (UTC)
ken = knowledge

so worldken = knowledge about the world = physics

so minglingken = knowledge about mixing stuff = chemistry
a very caring potatomollydot on March 7th, 2005 02:21 pm (UTC)
Yes, of course. I was getting too complicated. I checked out the etymology of chemistry and it doesn't come from mixing things, so I thought it wasn't it.

I'd thought worldken was science. I wonder what it would be.

<brief bit of googling later> Looks like ken on it's own would be enough for science.
Niall Richard Murphyniallm on March 7th, 2005 02:27 pm (UTC)
My favourite so far is 'lump beholding' which I think means 'quantum theory' or possibly 'quantum mechanics'.
a very caring potatomollydot on March 7th, 2005 02:34 pm (UTC)
Or watching a large rock.

I don't think I've got that far yet.
a very caring potatomollydot on March 9th, 2005 02:33 pm (UTC)
It's quantum theory.
I found a bit of a glossary. In the "Behold the Unclefts" section of http://www.io.com/~dierdorf/ww.html . It's taking me a few days to read that "Words, words, words..." page.

My favourite is "roundaround board of the firststuffs", though according to another page I haven't kept the link for, round is actually of latin origin. We don't have a germanic equivalent anymore more. It gave the old english word, but I've forgotten it. Something like um or yr.